Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Real Meal, A Real Mistake

For the last few weeks, I have been following a strict diet regimen in a serious effort to lose the 10-15 pounds that crept up on me during this first blissful year of marriage. When I'm happy, I eat, what can I say? Aside from my closest friends and family members, I have kept word of the dieting on the dl, as to avoid the inevitable "you look fine, you don't need that" placations and hints of disapproval.

I had my 3rd weigh in yesterday, and in what I full well know was an effort in self-sabotage, I had already decided walking into the office, that if the scale had gone down at all this last week I was going to treat myself to a real meal for dinner.

Let me point out that I absolutely expected to see the scale sadly shake it's digital head at me and reflect not even an ounce of weight loss. Truth be told, I'd cheated a bit this past weekend (I love/need wine, which after extensive research I discovered is actually VERY low in carbohydrates, thanyouverymuch). So in reality, I was not really expecting to be able to indulge in anything "off plan". But much to my shock, surprise and disbelief, I had lost another 2 lbs. It seems that wine loves me too!

Immediately after closing the door to what I refer to as the place of stress and trepidation, I texted my partner in crime that we were ON! And what was the meal of choice after 3 weeks of carefully constructed, calorie restricted dieting?

Yes, that's right, I don't just fall off the wagon, I jump. Oh but that's not all, I mean what's a burger without fries right? But even better than fries are these:

Not just any ole tots, Garlic Tots!
And when Bergie says garlic, Bergie means garlic. There must have been at least 3 raw cloves smeared on those tots. So much garlic, I couldn't even watch True Blood last night.

And so I ate. And ate. And about halfway through I pushed my plate away with something akin to a grunt, mumbling I was stuffed.  Then 42 seconds later I changed my mind and ate some more. I managed to polish off the burger, but even I, garlic lover galore, could not manage to eat more than a couple handfuls of those vampire smiting tots.

Why do I do this to myself?
Did the food taste good? No doubt.
Did I enjoy my off plan meal? Hell to the yeah.
Did I enjoy the way I felt for the remainder of the evening? No.
Do I enjoy waking up still stuffed and mildly nauseous? Gag, no.
Will I ever learn? I am still holding out hope that one day I will.

Lesson learned from events on Tuesday 8/16/11: Figure out that thing called moderation, or all this dieting work that I spent so much time and money on will all have been for naught.

But for those of you who have already mastered it, check out Bergie's Burgers in Old Town, so delicious, you'll go off your diet for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment