Wednesday, January 4, 2012

$60 well spent (times 2)

In the past 3 days I have spent $120 to purchase 2 items that I think (hope) are going to better my life.
The first was a juicer.

I have known about the benefits of juicing fresh fruits and veggies for a while, but I have been slow to pull the trigger on purchasing one.
Not exactly sure why, maybe it was the thought of spending $200-300 on something that might end up like my guitar, or painting set, or crocheting supplies, or snowboard (I Miss you Snowboard!). Forgotten about once the novelty wore off (or a pelvis got broken snowboarding), and shoved in a closet.  
Then I checked Consumer Reports, and found this guy: The Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juicer.
CR gives it the 2nd highest rating of all the centrifugal models they tested,
including Jack Lelane's Power Juicer.
And is was only $60 on Amazon!
SOLD to the lady with the short attention span.
It arrives today.
I will be leaving work with boxes of produce in my trunk.

The second item I picked up will also help to contribute to my healthy eating by minimizing (or maybe altogether eliminating) the lunches I purchase during the work week.
I am pretty much chained to my desk for 8 hours a day.
If I leave, inevitably someone comes looking for me with a problem that needs an immediate solution,
I get a call on my cell, and have to hightail it back to the office.
So I have just found it easier to eat lunch at my desk.
And on the days that I forget or am too lazy to bring my lunch, I have 2 options for delivery.
Option #1 is a place called Gourmet Bagger.
They make sandwiches. I don't eat processed meat (Read all about Nitrates/Nitrites here).
Their one veggie option has lettuce and tomatoes
along with 3 types of cheese, avocado, mayo and cream cheese.
Gag.
How is that even close to healthy? And if I ask them to remove the cheese, mayo and cream cheese, I still end up paying $6 for a LTA sandwich.
No thanks.
Option #2 is a Greek/Mexican/American cafe.
I really love their food.
I love their tuna melts, their grilled ham and cheese, their burritos, their hamburgers...
Can you see where I am going with this. Again, not the healthiest options.
In the past I have tried to stock our break room fridge with things to have on hand for the days I am lunchless.
First I had to get over the disgust and mild paranoia I felt about putting my food in this:

Have you ever seen anything so gross?
Who knows how many people go through that thing.
Or don't from the looks of it.
Opening other peoples containers out of desperate hunger, sampling their goods. It kinda skeeves me out.
Not to mention the rank odor that often develops from lack of cleanliness.
Plus it seems some mysterious Bermuda Triangle thing exists in there because several times,
when I have gone to retrieve said food, it has disappeared!
This leads to frustration and anger, which again, are not healthy.
So New Year, New Me decided to buy a mini fridge for my office.
My very own that I could stock with all my healthy treats and feel safe knowing that no one would
take them, taste them, or touch them.
Finding one on Craigslist was simple enough, there were about 17 for sale.
So Monday morning, I bought myself this little beauty for $60.
And Tuesday I came to work with canvas bags full of goodness.

Yogurt, almond flax butter, tuna, hard boiled eggs, chopped veggies, salad mix, light string cheese and a drawer full of fruit.
And now the only excuse that I have left about why I eat poorly during the work day is weakness.
I refuse to be weak.


No comments:

Post a Comment