Thursday, September 1, 2011

I think I just drooled on my keyboard.

This recipe is absolutely NOT ALLOWED. If my weight loss couselor even knew I was just thinking about making it, she would kill me. But my in-laws are coming to town for 5 days, and this quick easy dinner might have to be made. For them, of course. The can't eat out every night... And I would pair it with a salad, to make it healthier. This is so going to happen.


Pasta with Peas, Bacon and Ricotta
10-oz. package of frozen peas
1/2 pound bacon, as lean as possible
salt
3-4 tablespoons fresh ricotta
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus extra for the table
fresh-ground black pepper
1 pound pasta (I like orecchiette, penne rigate or cavatappi, but really this combination goes with any shape.)
1. Fry the bacon until crisp, then tear it up and set aside. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan.
2. Put the frozen peas in the pan with the bacon fat (no need to thaw first, though you can). Cook at medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes (slightly less if thawed), stirring to thaw and coat the peas thoroughly.
3. Put the ricotta in the bowl the pasta will be tossed in, and break it up with a fork if necessary. Add the butter.
4. Cook the pasta in salted water, drain, and place in the bowl, tossing it immediately with the ricotta and the butter. Add the shredded bacon back to the pan with the peas, rapidly warm it all up, and pour the entire contents of the pan onto the pasta. Toss thoroughly, add the grated Parmesan and 2 or 3 grindings of pepper, toss once or twice again, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment